Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Gujarat - Land of my forefathers...

Zee's Notes: As I ran across news and articles on India during the recent visit of MHI it was an eye opener to see what is happening in India - specifically the economic miracle of India.
A while back I featured a video which showed the history of the Ismailis in the Indian Sub-continent, most notably India and specifically Gujarat. For most of us who hail from East Africa our real roots lie across the Arabian Sea in the Indian State of Gujarat. I have listened many a times to my grandfather who spoke of his father coming to Tanzania in a dhow for a better life in Africa. In the course of approximately 60 years India has tranformed itself from a British Colony to a global industrial powerhouse courted by Fortune 500 companies. India today is changing as it's young people proudly shout out their Indian heritage - quite a change from 25 years ago. We've all heard of Indians being recruited by US Tech firms and interestingly enough 33% of all IT management positions in the US are held by these Desi professionals. India is now savvy enough to market it's talent to the world stage. Here is a couple of interesting videos (I love YouTube) of the land which is so deeply rooted in my history. Hope you enjoy them...




No comments: